2014's Gayest Cities in America
BY Matthew Breen
January 06 2014 5:00 AM ET
5. Atlanta, Ga. (pop. 443,775)
Atlanta has long been the epicenter of the gay South, which is why it consistently makes this list, regardless of how the criteria change. And it’s no wonder, as Hotlanta’s LGBT folks strut to the beat of their own drummers — in stark contrast to much of the conservative surrounding state. The city has tons of great gay bars, including five on Out’s best-of list; the all-women Spelman College; Black Gay Pride in September and Atlanta Pride (one of the country’s largest) in October; and MondoHomo, a May event celebrating art, drag, burlesque, film, and BBQ. (You decide if the Real Housewives are a net plus.)
Above, top: Rap duo KIN4LIFE; above right: Striptease artist Vagina Jenkins
- Mormon Missionary Positions
- The Only 2 Things to Know Out of Mike Pence's Dissembling Interview
- Charles Barkley: Move Final Four Out of Indiana
- Is This Photo Proof Mike Pence Knew RFRA Discriminates Against LGBTs?
- Alan Cumming Is Bisexual — And You Might Be Too
- Tim Cook on Standing Up to Discrimination: 'It’s Time for All of Us'