Gayest International Getaways
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 14 2011 10:00 AM ET
Participants enjoy the yearly Regenbogenparade (Rainbow Parade.)
Vienna — Voted Europe’s most livable city in 2009 and 2010, Vienna has much more to offer the gay tourist than sausage. Frequently skipped over by gay tourists for the more obvious Berlin or the more party-centric Madrid, Vienna boasts stunning architecture both old and new, some of the most beautiful castles and palaces in Europe, and, for those looking to get intimately acquainted with the gay scene, clubs, cafés, and the annual Life Ball (in true Viennese ball tradition) for HIV charities.
Valencia — Spain's cities are known for dazzling architecture, delectable food, rich wine, and nocturnal citizens who dance and flirt all night, and Valencia, the country's third-largest metropolis, certainly lives up to the description. Hugging the Mediterranean, the city was once an industrial center but has become a gay-friendly cultural powerhouse, with numerous buildings designed by hometown hero Santiago Calatrava. The city's gay nightlife is centered around the old city, in a freewheeling neighborhood called Barrio del Carmen.
Advocateand OutTraveler.com contributor Dennis Hensley in Curaçao
Curaçao — This Netherlands Antilles island, whose motto is “Biba i laga biba” (“Live and let live”), boasts 35 beaches, a UNESCO World Heritage Site (the scenic town of Willemstad), and a host of gay-friendly accommodations and clubs such as Lyric's Café and Omundo. It offers Dutch charm and open-mindedness in a Caribbean climate — plus it’s outside the hurricane belt! It's pretty much guaranteed you won't be blue in Curaçao.
- Women WATCH: Idina Menzel's Female Empowerment Anthem from Frozen 3 min 20 sec ago
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: What's the Next Hot Destination? 51 min ago
- Internet WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas? 1 hour 20 min ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Glenn Beck Has Gay Friends, So He's Not Intolerant 1 hour 26 min ago
- Women Op-ed: Remembering Mandela 2 hours 6 min ago
- Marriage Equality Illinois Family Institute Compares Marriage Equality to Junk Food 2 hours 49 min ago
- Year in Review 11 Great New Tech Gifts UPDATED: 2 hours 50 min ago