Different for Girls: Top 5 Lesbian Meccas
BY Aefa Mulholland
July 20 2009 12:00 AM ET
Gay travel is often "different for girls." Does a listing that states "gay-friendly" also mean "lesbian-friendly" or "lesbian-popular"? If accommodations are advertised as "gay/lesbian," will visiting women find themselves lone ladies in a gay male-dominated, clothing-optional compound? Will female travelers make the unfortunate discovery that accommodations are "lesbian-overly friendly" and find themselves the objects of unwanted interest? Call ahead to potential accommodations and ask about their percentage of lesbian guests. But don't allow such concerns to limit vacations to the same spots that have lured ladies for decades: a slew of off-radar sapphic spots await.
If you're looking for new places to vacation in the company of women, click here for a tour of our top-five offbeat lesbian destinations, starting with number 5 and counting down to our number 1 absolute favorite getaway for girls.
- WATCH: Bianca Del Rio and Adore Delano Star in Starbucks' First LGBT Commercial
- Couple Plead Guilty to Torture Death of 8-Year-Old They Thought Was Gay
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Tim Cook: Being Gay Has Helped Me Lead Apple
- #TBT: Halloween Do's and Don'ts
- Dallas Airport Attacker Unlikely to Face Hate Crime Charges