Different for Girls: Top 5 Lesbian Meccas
BY Aefa Mulholland
July 19 2009 11:00 PM ET
5. Asheville, N.C.
Fall colors are at their finest in Asheville, a remarkable artsy Appalachian town of 70,000 where women walk hand-in-hand and art deco, beaux-arts, and neoclassical architecture create an elegant backdrop. The best places to leaf peep in and around "Sheville" are along 469-mile Blue Ridge Parkway between Shenandoah National Park and the Great Smoky Mountains or in downtown's Asheville Botanical Gardens.
Best spot to meet the girls
Lively Malaprops (55 Haywood St; 828-254-6734; Malaprops.com ), a friendly, lesbian-owned bookstore and hub of the women's community, has a sidewalk café. It's the perfect perch to browse local ladies. Once it's too dark to admire foliage, a packed evening events schedule is stacked with bookings from Women on Words Poetry Circle to Bridging Difference book club nights -- where locals and visitors discuss works such as lesbian writer Audre Lorde's Sister Outsider .
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- 10 Snarky Quotes That Will Make You Miss Michael Kors on Project Runway
- WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- Entertainment News GQ Germany Features Famous Straight Men Kissing for Tolerance 20 min 38 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Kim Stolz's Ridiculously Beautiful Wedding Video 1 hour 14 min ago
- Politics N.J. Legislature Could Enshrine Marriage Equality into State Law 1 hour 31 min ago
- Transgender Coalition Still Short in Bid to Repeal Calif. Trans Student Law 1 hour 39 min ago
- Religion Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks 2 hours 5 min ago
- Film WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online 2 hours 8 min ago
- Travel PHOTOS: Happy Gay People on Beaches 2 hours 41 min ago