Different for Girls: Top 5 Lesbian Meccas
BY Aefa Mulholland
July 20 2009 12:00 AM ET
5. Asheville, N.C.
Fall colors are at their finest in Asheville, a remarkable artsy Appalachian town of 70,000 where women walk hand-in-hand and art deco, beaux-arts, and neoclassical architecture create an elegant backdrop. The best places to leaf peep in and around "Sheville" are along 469-mile Blue Ridge Parkway between Shenandoah National Park and the Great Smoky Mountains or in downtown's Asheville Botanical Gardens.
Best spot to meet the girls
Lively Malaprops (55 Haywood St; 828-254-6734; Malaprops.com ), a friendly, lesbian-owned bookstore and hub of the women's community, has a sidewalk café. It's the perfect perch to browse local ladies. Once it's too dark to admire foliage, a packed evening events schedule is stacked with bookings from Women on Words Poetry Circle to Bridging Difference book club nights -- where locals and visitors discuss works such as lesbian writer Audre Lorde's Sister Outsider .
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Why Television Is Outpacing Film in Diversity
- The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist March 10 2014 7:44 PM
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! March 10 2014 6:22 PM
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias March 10 2014 6:08 PM