A Breath of Fresh Air in Long Beach
BY Corey Scholibo
November 13 2009 1:45 PM ET
If you are traveling to Long Beach for its annual pride event or just an affordable weekend by the ocean, your options were pretty much limited to chain hotels widely out of step with the modern aesthetic. But recently Long Beach has seen some new boutique venues popping up along its shores, including the Hotel Maya. Situated on the bay side, the Hotel Maya looks at first glance like fresh paint over old wounds. In fact, the buildings used to be the Coast Hotel, with four trapezoid-shaped, concrete structures stretching down the shore from the main building. In a $20 million overhaul, Maya's designers embraced the shape of the structures — Mayans did build pyramids, after all — and focused on the aesthetics of the interiors instead.
Rooms are rather large and offer access to remarkable scenery if you get one with a bay view, and almost all have private balconies. The Mayan theme, or rather the Latin fusion theme, continues here, with the rooms relying heavily on deep browns against bright oranges and reds. Flat-screen TVs, quality linens, and completely remodeled bathrooms round out the space. Room entrances are from a central courtyard in each building; the courtyards have been filled with lava rocks and mirrored pieces. Down at the pool, raised cabanas surrounded by moats of water look inviting, with billowing white drapes that can be pulled back for privacy. A hot tub and gym can be found there as well. The high-end idea is sometimes lost with the addition of things like chintzy plastic water lilies floating around the cabanas, but for under $150 a night I was not complaining.
The main building of the hotel features numerous conference and banquet rooms perfect for a company retreat or a wedding. An outdoor garden even has a raised platform for speaking or vows, a circular wall of waterfalls, and an impressive variety of tropical plants. A bike path lines the outside of the hotel, and a quick walk down it will lead you to a dock with water taxis that can take you across the bay to the city for a few bucks.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Lesbian Facing Felony for Same-Sex Relationship Says Daughter's Been Targeted Before
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good As Dead, Say Advocates
- Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Love and Sex Dear Digital Romeo: How Do I Seduce a Guy Through Chat? 14 min 23 sec ago
- Women Free Kate — She's Been Targeted Before, Says Father 1 hour 4 min ago
- Marriage Equality Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says 1 hour 48 min ago
- Women Op-Ed: Case of Lesbian Teen Kaitlyn Hunt Raises Questions About Sexual Double Standard 2 hours 45 sec ago
- Music WATCH: Is This the Worst Music Video Ever? 2 hours 14 min ago
- Transgender Jesse Tyler Ferguson Slams His Former School's Transphobic Graduation Policy 2 hours 14 min ago
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame 2 hours 15 min ago