Will Josh Dixon Be the First Openly Gay Gymnast at the Olympics?
BY Neal Broverman
May 07 2012 7:46 PM ET
On Saturday, out gymnast Josh Dixon finished second out of 72 competitors at a qualifier for the 2012 Olympics.
If Dixon continues to advance he could become the first openly gay male gymnast competing in the Olympic games. Outsports spoke to the young athlete, who graduated from Stanford University. His gymnastic team at the university won national championships in 2009 and 2011; Dixon himself is a seven-time all-American athlete. Dixon, a San Jose native, tore his Achilles tendon last spring, which almost derailed his gymnastics career. But he's in the midst of an amazing turnaround and is practicing at an Olympics training center.
Dixon says he's received no negative feedback from teammates after he told them he was dating a fellow male athlete. He does admit that he's had to face down his own internalized homophobia. Read more here.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival 44 min 40 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference 1 hour 23 sec ago
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families 1 hour 16 min ago
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia 1 hour 34 min ago
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis 1 hour 37 min ago
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 2 hours 6 min ago
- Women WATCH: Australia's Sexy New Lesbian Web Series Starting From ... Now! 5:02 PM