Will Josh Dixon Be the First Openly Gay Gymnast at the Olympics?
BY Neal Broverman
May 07 2012 7:46 PM ET
On Saturday, out gymnast Josh Dixon finished second out of 72 competitors at a qualifier for the 2012 Olympics.
If Dixon continues to advance he could become the first openly gay male gymnast competing in the Olympic games. Outsports spoke to the young athlete, who graduated from Stanford University. His gymnastic team at the university won national championships in 2009 and 2011; Dixon himself is a seven-time all-American athlete. Dixon, a San Jose native, tore his Achilles tendon last spring, which almost derailed his gymnastics career. But he's in the midst of an amazing turnaround and is practicing at an Olympics training center.
Dixon says he's received no negative feedback from teammates after he told them he was dating a fellow male athlete. He does admit that he's had to face down his own internalized homophobia. Read more here.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
- The South's Longer Wait for Equality
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politics WATCH: Obama's Morehouse Commencement Speech Name-Checks Gay Rights 1 hour 28 min ago
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City 1 hour 49 min ago
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' 1 hour 58 min ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality 2 hours 24 min ago
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay 2 hours 35 min ago
- Women Obama to Award Presidential Medal of Freedom to Sally Ride 6:01 PM
- Pride Turn It Way Up with Pride Beats 2013 6:00 PM