Team LGBT Goes for the Olympic Gold
BY Michelle Garcia
July 16 2012 5:00 AM ET
Matthew Mitcham: Diving, Australia
“I remember the things that I was thinking on the platform before the dive, and I remember what happened as soon as I hit the water,” Matthew Mitcham recalled a few months after taking home the gold in the 10-meter platform dive in 2008. “The dive itself is a bit vague. It felt good, although I wasn’t exactly sure. I did wait underneath the water a bit, thinking, I wonder…I wonder…I wonder… Then I popped my head out and the crowd was going wild. I looked over at Chava and he looked excited. It was the most far-out experience. It just completely took me over and I just lost it. And I think everybody loved that I lost it.”
Ever since Matthew Mitcham's adorable reaction to winning his gold medal win in Beijing, he's been busy. He's won several competitions around the world, he was named an ambassador to the 2014 Gay Games, and he has an endorsement deal with Australian telecommunications provider Telstra and swimwear line Funky Trunks. It'll be fascinating to watch a wiser, more experienced Mitcham make another attempt at the gold medal.
Tags: Summer Loving In London
- Subaru Comes Out Against Indiana's 'License to Discriminate'
- Op-ed: Angelina Jolie's Choice Bolsters the Trans Argument
- Mormon Missionary Positions
- Alan Cumming Is Bisexual — And You Might Be Too
- 12 Celebrities Who Said the “F” Word
- Op-ed: Why Labeling Others As 'Privileged' Isn't Helping Trans Activists