Team LGBT Goes for the Olympic Gold
BY Michelle Garcia
July 16 2012 5:00 AM ET
Megan Rapinoe: Soccer, U.S.
Midfielder Meghan Rapinoe will break from her spot on the Seattle Sounders to play for the U.S. national team. No doubt this is a win for Nike, with which Rapinoe has a lucrative endorsement deal. On her decision to discuss her sexual orientation openly, Rapinoe told Out, "I feel like sports in general are still homophobic, in the sense that not a lot of people are out. I feel everyone is really craving [for] people to come out. People want — they need — to see that there are people like me playing soccer for the good ol’ U.S. of A."
Tags: Summer Loving In London
- Out NYC Owners Call Gays 'Cheap,' 'Entitled' In Disastrous Interview
- 9 Celebs Who Learned the Hard Way the T-Word Is Over
- Could National Marriage Equality Mean the End of Gay Culture?
- Op-ed: When Right vs. Left Becomes Right vs. Wrong
- PHOTOS: Men Over 50, 3rd Edition
- Boxer Manny Pacquiao Denies Making Antigay Remarks