Team LGBT Goes for the Olympic Gold
BY Michelle Garcia
July 16 2012 5:00 AM ET
Marilyn Agliotti: Field Hockey, Netherlands
Marilyn Agliotti also took some gold home from Beijing. As a member of the Netherlands' national field hockey team, Agliotti is no stranger to success. Wearing signature bright orange, the Dutch team has excelled in field hockey since 2008, winning the European Championships in 2009 and 2010, and a silver medal at the world championships. Agliotti told Heroes magazine that more needs to be done to promote acceptance of lesbian players. "In my opinion," she said, "the hockey world is at peace with lesbian players, as long as they remain in the background." She also encourages her colleagues in the field hockey world to "become your own hero. Be proud of yourself and the things you do."
Tags: Summer Loving In London
- 7 Immediate Examples of Backlash to Indiana's 'Religious Freedom'
- Audra McDonald Rips Indiana Governor Over Law
- Trans Teen Activist, Former Homecoming King, Dies in Charlotte, N.C.
- Texas Successfully Blocks New Federal Rights for Gay Couples
- 12 Celebrities Who Said the “F” Word
- Gov. Mike Pence Just Gave Indiana a 'License to Discriminate'