Team LGBT: Gay Athletes In Olympic History
BY Michelle Garcia
July 28 2012 4:00 AM ET
Now that the Olympic torch is ablaze in London, we can't help but think about all of the gay athletes, out and closeted, to represent their countries doing what they do best. Outsports has compiled more than 100 athletes who have done just that, and what's impressive is that 52% of LGBT-identified athletes on their list have earned at least one shiny piece of medal.
And for the record, the gayest Olympic sports -- that is, the sports with the most openly gay Olympic athletes -- are soccer, track & field, swimming, and equestrian. Click through for ten members of the historical Team LGBT.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Technology Want the Worst? Search for 'Gayest' 14 min 17 sec ago
- The End of Bullying WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student 41 min 41 sec ago
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt Refuses Plea, Heads to Court Over Same-Sex High School Relationship 51 min 26 sec ago
- Politics Ukrainian LGBT Pride Event Blocked 1 hour 7 min ago
- Sports MMA Fighter in First Fight Since Revealing Gender Transition 1 hour 39 min ago
- Women Op-Ed: Remembering Sakia Gunn: the News Coverage and Homophobic Murder 2 hours 12 min ago
- Politics Puerto Rico House Approves Antidiscrimination Bill 2 hours 20 min ago