Team LGBT: Gay Athletes In Olympic History
BY Michelle Garcia
July 28 2012 4:00 AM ET
Now that the Olympic torch is ablaze in London, we can't help but think about all of the gay athletes, out and closeted, to represent their countries doing what they do best. Outsports has compiled more than 100 athletes who have done just that, and what's impressive is that 52% of LGBT-identified athletes on their list have earned at least one shiny piece of medal.
And for the record, the gayest Olympic sports -- that is, the sports with the most openly gay Olympic athletes -- are soccer, track & field, swimming, and equestrian. Click through for ten members of the historical Team LGBT.
- 7 Immediate Examples of Backlash to Indiana's 'Religious Freedom'
- Audra McDonald Rips Indiana Governor Over Law
- Texas Successfully Blocks New Federal Rights for Gay Couples
- Trans Teen Activist, Former Homecoming King, Dies in Charlotte, N.C.
- Gov. Mike Pence Just Gave Indiana a 'License to Discriminate'
- 12 Celebrities Who Said the “F” Word