Team LGBT: Gay Athletes In Olympic History
BY Michelle Garcia
July 28 2012 3:00 AM ET
Now that the Olympic torch is ablaze in London, we can't help but think about all of the gay athletes, out and closeted, to represent their countries doing what they do best. Outsports has compiled more than 100 athletes who have done just that, and what's impressive is that 52% of LGBT-identified athletes on their list have earned at least one shiny piece of medal.
And for the record, the gayest Olympic sports -- that is, the sports with the most openly gay Olympic athletes -- are soccer, track & field, swimming, and equestrian. Click through for ten members of the historical Team LGBT.
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- Defending Anti-LGBT Laws, Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance'
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- 15 Gifts to Keep You Gorgeous
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- Women WATCH: Ellen Will Tell You if She and Portia Are Getting Divorced! 23 min 55 sec ago
- Media Game of Thrones Video Game Announced 29 min 15 sec ago
- World News Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance' 35 min 13 sec ago
- Travel PHOTOS: Whet Your Appetite for Gay Polo's Biggest Event 36 min 38 sec ago
- The Wedding Channel Coast Guard Academy Sees First Same-Sex Engagement Announcement 40 min 27 sec ago
- Television Behind The Candelabra Leads Golden Globes' TV Awards With 4 Noms 1 hour 24 min ago
- Comedy WATCH: Billy Eichner and Amy Poehler Have Aggressive Christmas Spirit 11:17 AM