Team LGBT: Gay Athletes In Olympic History
BY Michelle Garcia
July 28 2012 4:00 AM ET
Now that the Olympic torch is ablaze in London, we can't help but think about all of the gay athletes, out and closeted, to represent their countries doing what they do best. Outsports has compiled more than 100 athletes who have done just that, and what's impressive is that 52% of LGBT-identified athletes on their list have earned at least one shiny piece of medal.
And for the record, the gayest Olympic sports -- that is, the sports with the most openly gay Olympic athletes -- are soccer, track & field, swimming, and equestrian. Click through for ten members of the historical Team LGBT.
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- UFC Women's Champ Refuses to Fight Trans Athlete Fallon Fox
- Op-ed: Are Millennials More Racist Than Antigay?
- I Am Jazz: 14, Transgender, and the Star of My Own Docu-series
- First Gay Couple to Wed at West Point Turns Tables on Antigay Attacker
- UFC Women's Champ: 'I Wouldn't Refuse' to Fight a Trans Athlete