Team LGBT: The Medal Count
BY Michelle Garcia
August 13 2012 2:06 PM ET
The torch flame is extinguished, and London enters a post-Olympics hangover of sorts. But during the games, at least 23 out athletes and coaches competed this year, with 10 individuals earning medals in their respective sports. As Cyd Zeigler points out, Team LGBT won as many medals as Mexico, Ethiopia, and Georgia, and won more than such countries as Argentina and Jamaica. The official medal count for Team LGBT is four gold, one silver, and two bronze, including a few team efforts.
This how it all shook out (with names of LGBT athletes in bold):
- Why Can't We Talk About Homophobia in the Black Community?
- Vatican Official Calls Irish Marriage Vote 'Defeat for Humanity'
- San Diego Mourns Third Trans Teen to Die by Suicide
- PHOTOS: International Mr. Leather Weekend
- WATCH: Out Musician Mika Shares Video for 'Good Guys,' a Bittersweet Homage to Gay Men
- Op-ed: I'm a Trans Man Who Doesn't 'Pass' — And You Shouldn't Either