Barbra Streisand Raises $22 Million for Women's Health Charity
BY Jeremy Kinser
August 14 2012 9:00 PM ET
Barbra Streisand has raised $22 million to boost a regenerative-medicine research fund and efforts to fight heart disease among women, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
THR quotes a source at L.A.'s Cedars-Sinai Medical Center who says Streisand exceeded her original goal of raising $20 million and has donated $10 million herself.
“Barbra has now brought over $22 million to this cause, including her own generous gift of $10 million in matching funds,” says Dr. Noel Bairey-Merz, director of the program which in June was re-named the Barbra Streisand Women’s Heart Center.
In June Streisand held a fundraiser for the cause at her Malibu home, at which she sang. Couples paid as much as $100,000 to attend. The event was attended by President Bill Clinton, who saluted the entertainer for her efforts on women’s health. Through her personal contacts she also secured significant donations from Ralph Lauren, Barry Diller, Sumner Redstone, New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, and others.
The entertainer-philanthropist has been a vocal supporter of the former Cedars-Sinai Heart Institute since 2007, when she learned that heart disease is the number one killer of women. The Streisand Foundation has previously made grants to national organizations that support work on women’s health, as well as the environment, voter education, protecting civil liberties, civil rights, and nuclear disarmament.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination 2 hours 50 min ago
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist March 10 2014 7:44 PM
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! March 10 2014 6:22 PM
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias March 10 2014 6:08 PM