Pastor Found Guilty in Lesbian Custody Case
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
August 15 2012 12:29 PM ET
Though the courthouse in Burlington, Vt., was flooded with supporters singing traditional Christian hymns, the Reverend Kenneth Miller, a Mennonite pastor from Stuarts Draft, Va., was convicted Tuesday of helping a woman kidnap her daughter to prevent her lesbian ex from having custody of the girl after the court awarded it to her, according to the Associated Press. In a case that has sparked a national search for a girl, Miller helped Lisa Miller (no relation), a so-called ex-gay woman take her daughter, Isabella, to Latin America in order to not have to share custody of the now-10-year-old girl with her other mother, Janet Jenkins.
Lisa Miller and Isabella were last seen in Nicaragua, but the U.S. has no extradition treaty with that country. The case has been tried in Vermont, where Jenkins and Miller had a civil union in 2000. After the couple broke up, Miller became an evangelical Christian and moved to Virginia; as a result of her religious conversion, she believes being lesbian is a sin. After years of court actions, Miller lost custody of Isabella to Jenkins and fled with the girl.
Kenneth Miller now faces up to three years in prison, reports the AP, but he told reporters that he is “willing to accept the consequences of my actions. I am at peace with God. I am peace with my conscience and I give it over to God.” He remains free pending sentencing.
Jenkins was not present, but her lawyer, Sarah Star, said of her client, “She hopes that the verdict will send a message to those who continue to aid and abet Lisa Miller in Nicaragua. Her greatest hope is that the government’s efforts will lead to Isabella’s safe return to Vermont.”
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- Robbie Rogers Becomes First Openly Gay Major League Soccer Player
- Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa
- Hot Sheet: Too Much Is Never Enough
- The 'Undetectable' Paradox
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television Jason Collins Calls It a 'Slam-Dunk!' and More Fake Gay Reviews for Behind the Candelabra May 25 2013 6:30 PM
- Food and Drink Want to Eat a Hot Dog Named After Harvey Fierstein? May 25 2013 5:53 PM
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash May 25 2013 3:02 PM
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings May 25 2013 1:56 PM
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea, Victim's Parents Speak May 25 2013 1:21 PM
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 May 25 2013 12:44 PM
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' May 25 2013 12:35 PM