What Do Glenn Close, American Lesbians, and Trans Women in the Philippines Have in Common?
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
February 15 2013 3:30 PM ET
One in three women, or 1 billion worldwide, will be raped or beaten in their lifetimes, according to United Nations data, which is why Vagina Monologues playwright Eve Ensler and her cadre of V-Day activists built a worldwide protest that happened last week called One Billion Rising. Women and men from around globe celebrated the 15th anniversary of V-Day by walking out of work and home, dancing in the streets in flash mobs, carrying protest signs, and otherwise acting up to denounce violence against women. Some protests were led by transgender women (like those in the Philippines) and by lesbian and bisexual women (in California, New York, and Oregon, among others). Women even practiced for the dance flash mobs on Oliva Travel's lesbian cruises to the Caribbean in recent weeks. Here are just a few of the shots we loved, including a celebrity who celebrated the day alongside her lesser-known peers.
Members and supporters of various sexual minority groups enjoy a moment during a protest meeting against all forms of physical and mental violence against women and girls all over the world, in Kolkata, India, on February 14. Indians were at the forefront of global protests on One Billion Rising day, galvanized by the recent fatal gang rape that shocked the country.
- Boston: Major Beer Sponsor Pulls Out of St. Pat's Parade
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- This Is How Every Parent Should Respond After Their 13-Year-Old Comes Out
- These Gay Teen Lovers Are Nothing But Trash
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- Media Rachel Maddow Blasts Critics of Obama's Funny or Die Interview 16 min 4 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment Game Developers Conference Tackles LGBT Representation in Video Games 19 min 25 sec ago
- Politics Meet the 21-Year-Old Gay Republican Running for Idaho Legislature 46 min 8 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Who Wants to See More of The Fosters' Teri Polo in Her Cop Uniform? 48 min 29 sec ago
- Comedy WATCH: Jeffrey: The Series Episode 8, 'Merchandise' 1 hour ago
- Uganda U.S. Suspends Health Aid to Uganda Over 'Jail the Gays' Law 1 hour 5 min ago
- Travel Polaroid Museum Opening at Vegas' LINQ 1 hour 14 min ago