What Do Glenn Close, American Lesbians, and Trans Women in the Philippines Have in Common?
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
February 15 2013 3:30 PM ET
One in three women, or 1 billion worldwide, will be raped or beaten in their lifetimes, according to United Nations data, which is why Vagina Monologues playwright Eve Ensler and her cadre of V-Day activists built a worldwide protest that happened last week called One Billion Rising. Women and men from around globe celebrated the 15th anniversary of V-Day by walking out of work and home, dancing in the streets in flash mobs, carrying protest signs, and otherwise acting up to denounce violence against women. Some protests were led by transgender women (like those in the Philippines) and by lesbian and bisexual women (in California, New York, and Oregon, among others). Women even practiced for the dance flash mobs on Oliva Travel's lesbian cruises to the Caribbean in recent weeks. Here are just a few of the shots we loved, including a celebrity who celebrated the day alongside her lesser-known peers.
Members and supporters of various sexual minority groups enjoy a moment during a protest meeting against all forms of physical and mental violence against women and girls all over the world, in Kolkata, India, on February 14. Indians were at the forefront of global protests on One Billion Rising day, galvanized by the recent fatal gang rape that shocked the country.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence?
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News Filmmaker Needs Help to Penetrate the South 28 min 34 sec ago
- Commentary NYC Hate Crimes: Why I'm Afraid for First Time in My Life 45 min 54 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Portia de Rossi Spills Ellen's Most Annoying Habit to Jennifer Aniston 1 hour 8 min ago
- Living Well Why Shacking Up Is Good For Your Health 1 hour 15 min ago
- Politics Schumer: The Reason We Excluded Gays Offers 'Little Comfort' 2 hours 11 min ago
- World News PHOTOS: Startling Response to Right-Winger's Suicide in Notre Dame 2 hours 40 min ago
- Crime Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence? 11:07 AM