Aruba, Curacao, and a Private Island: 4,200 Lesbians Cruise to the Caribbean
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
March 01 2013 7:00 AM ET
Doing the Hustle (OK, a more modern version of it) at the club on '70s night
The Advocate wasn’t the only queer publication on board. Robin Lowey, founder of Epochalips, a multicontributor blog for lesbians over 40, was there too. Some of the Epochalips contributors (who include Meredith Baxter, Vicki Randle, Jewelle Gomez, Marga Gomez, and more) were also on board, including Kate Clinton. Lowey’s here with musician and producer Terri Lynn Delk from We Want the Music Company, producer of the Michigan Womyn's Music Festival.
Yoli Farnum and Mary Gay Hutcherson were among 70 lesbians from Carefree Resort who traveled together on the Olivia cruise, wearing matching “Carefree Cruisers” T-shirts. “We chartered the bus and it came in the community to pick us up at the clubhouse,” says Hutcherson. “Much of the community was out to see us off and there were women lining the streets waving goodbye, but someone had to stay home with all those pets. We stopped in the Everglades at a bus stop and the driver was heard calling his wife and saying, ‘You won't believe this, but I am driving a busload of lesbians and they are very nice and they have a beautiful community.’ When we got to the port and saw our ship with the rainbow flag flying a cheer went up!” Carefree Resort is an all-lesbian community of about 500 in the winter and about 150 year-round. “Totally cool place!” adds Hutcherson.
- Why These Four Justices Rejected Marriage Equality
- WATCH: Mississippi Clerk Refuses to Wed Gay Couples, Quits After 24 Years
- George Takei Takes on Clarence Thomas and Donald Trump (and Wins!)
- Girl Scouts Return $100K When Donor Demands It 'Not Be Used' For Trans Girls
- Tennessee Hardware Store Puts Up 'No Gays Allowed' Sign
- Why Is the Duggar Family Paying the Cops Investigating Them?