Aruba, Curacao, and a Private Island: 4,200 Lesbians Cruise to the Caribbean
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
March 01 2013 6:00 AM ET
Doing the Hustle (OK, a more modern version of it) at the club on '70s night
The Advocate wasn’t the only queer publication on board. Robin Lowey, founder of Epochalips, a multicontributor blog for lesbians over 40, was there too. Some of the Epochalips contributors (who include Meredith Baxter, Vicki Randle, Jewelle Gomez, Marga Gomez, and more) were also on board, including Kate Clinton. Lowey’s here with musician and producer Terri Lynn Delk from We Want the Music Company, producer of the Michigan Womyn's Music Festival.
Yoli Farnum and Mary Gay Hutcherson were among 70 lesbians from Carefree Resort who traveled together on the Olivia cruise, wearing matching “Carefree Cruisers” T-shirts. “We chartered the bus and it came in the community to pick us up at the clubhouse,” says Hutcherson. “Much of the community was out to see us off and there were women lining the streets waving goodbye, but someone had to stay home with all those pets. We stopped in the Everglades at a bus stop and the driver was heard calling his wife and saying, ‘You won't believe this, but I am driving a busload of lesbians and they are very nice and they have a beautiful community.’ When we got to the port and saw our ship with the rainbow flag flying a cheer went up!” Carefree Resort is an all-lesbian community of about 500 in the winter and about 150 year-round. “Totally cool place!” adds Hutcherson.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- Bringing Diversity to the Digital Realm
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season 7:41 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity 7:25 PM
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional 4:50 PM
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs 4:36 PM
- Sports You Can Play and NFL Team Up With LGBT Youth 3:37 PM