Ladies, Are You Ready for Michfest?
BY Clea Kim
April 10 2013 4:00 AM ET
For women who plan to bring children, there is a child care available in three different areas. Sprouts Family Campground provides a day camp as well as a family campground for moms and young children through 4 years old. The Gaia Girls Camp offers activities and supervision through the evening for girls 5 and older, and the Brother Sun Boys Camp runs from 8 a.m. to midnight with crafts, cookouts, music, sports, and other activities for boys aged 5 through 10. No boys older than 10 are allowed at the festival.
Some women, like musician like Toshi Reagon (above), are part of a multigenerational festival heritage. Reagon's mother, Bernice Johnson Reagon, has performed at Michfest with her group Sweet Honey in the Rock. Now Toshi Reagon, who is the goddaughter of folksinger Pete Seeger and got her big break opening for Lenny Kravitz, has a daughter of her own with her partner, J. Bob Alotta, executive director of the Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice.
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- Just Another Day at Work in LGBT America
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- PHOTOS: Cyndi Lauper and Friends Work to Bring LGBT Homeless Youth Home for the Holidays
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics December 10 2013 6:11 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes December 10 2013 5:56 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn December 10 2013 5:38 PM