10 Things to Know: Sally Ride
BY Michelle Garcia
November 19 2013 7:00 AM ET
2. Ride answered an ad in the newspaper to join NASA. Yeah. It was that simple. She was finishing up her Ph.D. in physics at Stanford when the agency put out an ad looking for astronaut candidates. Ride was one of 8,000 applicants for the training program. Thirty-five people (including six women) were accepted into the astronaut corps, and Ride was selected as an astronaut candidate in 1978. "It was always comforting that there were six of us women, not two," she told the Harvard Business Journal weeks before her death. "It made it clear that NASA was committed to really bringing more gender diversity into the astronaut corps."
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View
- BREAKING: Supreme Court Rebuffs Florida — Marriages to Begin
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- WATCH: Partner of Sydney Siege Hero Remembers His 'Soulmate'
- Emily Blunt: 'I Want to Be a Gay Icon'