10 Things to Know: Sally Ride
BY Michelle Garcia
November 19 2013 8:00 AM ET
5. The crash site of two satellites that were orbiting the moon was named after Ride last December. The two gravity-mapping Grail probes, known as Ebb and Flow, slammed into a crater near the moon's north pole. It sounds like a weird way to memorialize someone, but Ride made vast contributions to the Grail mission, including Grail's MoonKAM project, which allowed schoolchildren around the world to select sites for the satellites to photograph.
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- California Becomes First State to Ban Gay, Trans 'Panic' Defenses
- Read This Mich. Democrat's Epic Response to Antigay Group's 'Pile of Excrement'
- Outrage After Major Minn. Paper Sells Transphobic Coalition Full-Page Ad
- Bible-Quoting Man Shoots Couple With BB Gun Outside Minneapolis Gay Bar
- Modern Family Director Live-Tweets a Plane Passenger's Drunken Meltdown