10 Things to Know: Sally Ride
BY Michelle Garcia
November 19 2013 8:00 AM ET
10. Ride said she didn't go into the sciences to become a role model but eventually realized that she was one for countless women around the world. "Young girls need to see role models in whatever careers they may choose, just so they can picture themselves doing those jobs someday," she told the Harvard Business Review. "You can’t be what you can’t see."
Editor's note: an earlier version of this story cited Ride as the first woman in space, where in fact she was the first American woman in space.
- Current Issue Number Crunch: A Church in Crisis 37 min 6 sec ago
- Current Issue The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd 1 hour 36 min ago
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books March 09 2014 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah March 09 2014 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions March 09 2014 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open March 09 2014 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play March 09 2014 1:00 PM