10 Things to Know: Sally Ride
BY Michelle Garcia
November 19 2013 8:00 AM ET
10. Ride said she didn't go into the sciences to become a role model but eventually realized that she was one for countless women around the world. "Young girls need to see role models in whatever careers they may choose, just so they can picture themselves doing those jobs someday," she told the Harvard Business Review. "You can’t be what you can’t see."
Editor's note: an earlier version of this story cited Ride as the first woman in space, where in fact she was the first American woman in space.
- One of the Original X-Men Comes Out as Gay (Spoilers)
- WATCH: Ireland's New Marriage Equality Ad Will Give You Goosebumps
- Speak Now: Prop. 8 Decision Will Pave Way for National Marriage Victory
- More of You Could Be Fired for Getting Married
- WATCH: Bruce LaBruce at MoMA
- Op-ed: I Met My Best Friend on Grindr