10 Things to Know: Sally Ride
BY Michelle Garcia
November 19 2013 8:00 AM ET
10. Ride said she didn't go into the sciences to become a role model but eventually realized that she was one for countless women around the world. "Young girls need to see role models in whatever careers they may choose, just so they can picture themselves doing those jobs someday," she told the Harvard Business Review. "You can’t be what you can’t see."
Editor's note: an earlier version of this story cited Ride as the first woman in space, where in fact she was the first American woman in space.
- Girl Scouts Return $100K When Donor Demands It 'Not Be Used' For Trans Girls
- Girl Scouts Raise $100,000 in One Day After Dropping Transphobic Donor
- Tennessee Hardware Store Puts Up 'No Gays Allowed' Sign
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- He Went There: Antigay Judge Roy Moore Compares Marriage Equality to Holocaust
- Why These Four Justices Rejected Marriage Equality