Meet the People Fired for Being LGBT in 2013
BY Sunnivie Brydum
December 18 2013 6:30 AM ET
Tom Klansnic, principal of North Gresham Elementary School in Gresham, Ore., until April:
Tom Klansnic had been the principal of North Gresham Elementary School for 10 years, but when his contract came up for renewal, the district declined to rehire him.
Klansnic's supporters contend that the school's decision not to rehire him is related to the principal's divorce from his ex-wife three years ago, after which Klansnic publicly came out as gay, according to TV station KATU.
Klansnic's last day as North Gresham's principal was April 25 — the same day the federal Employment Non-Discrimination Act was introduced in Congress — though he remained on paid leave through the end of the academic year. Oregon state nondiscrimination law does include sexual orientation, prompting Klansnic and his attorney, Judy Snyder, to consider filing a lawsuit.
- Couple Indicted Over Torture Death of 8-Year-Old They Thought Was Gay
- Artist Spotlight: Kent Monkman
- Hot Sheet: They Are Risen
- Capitol Hill Staffers Blocked for Antitrans Wikipedia Edits
- Federal Judge Rules Florida's Same-Sex Marriage Ban Unconstitutional
- Michelle Duggar Gets Verdict In Her Quest Against LGBT Ordinance in Ark.