Meet the People Fired for Being LGBT in 2013
BY Sunnivie Brydum
December 18 2013 6:30 AM ET
Tom Klansnic, principal of North Gresham Elementary School in Gresham, Ore., until April:
Tom Klansnic had been the principal of North Gresham Elementary School for 10 years, but when his contract came up for renewal, the district declined to rehire him.
Klansnic's supporters contend that the school's decision not to rehire him is related to the principal's divorce from his ex-wife three years ago, after which Klansnic publicly came out as gay, according to TV station KATU.
Klansnic's last day as North Gresham's principal was April 25 — the same day the federal Employment Non-Discrimination Act was introduced in Congress — though he remained on paid leave through the end of the academic year. Oregon state nondiscrimination law does include sexual orientation, prompting Klansnic and his attorney, Judy Snyder, to consider filing a lawsuit.
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Read This Mich. Democrat's Epic Response to Antigay Group's 'Pile of Excrement'
- California Becomes First State to Ban Gay, Trans 'Panic' Defenses
- Bible-Quoting Man Shoots Couple With BB Gun Outside Minneapolis Gay Bar
- The New 'Republicans Are People Too' Twitter Campaign Is An Epic Fail
- 10 Transgender Kings and Queens Who Ruled the School