Meet the People Fired for Being LGBT in 2013
BY Sunnivie Brydum
December 18 2013 6:30 AM ET
Tom Klansnic, principal of North Gresham Elementary School in Gresham, Ore., until April:
Tom Klansnic had been the principal of North Gresham Elementary School for 10 years, but when his contract came up for renewal, the district declined to rehire him.
Klansnic's supporters contend that the school's decision not to rehire him is related to the principal's divorce from his ex-wife three years ago, after which Klansnic publicly came out as gay, according to TV station KATU.
Klansnic's last day as North Gresham's principal was April 25 — the same day the federal Employment Non-Discrimination Act was introduced in Congress — though he remained on paid leave through the end of the academic year. Oregon state nondiscrimination law does include sexual orientation, prompting Klansnic and his attorney, Judy Snyder, to consider filing a lawsuit.
- Religion Op-Ed: Pope's Legacy Will Be That He's Willing to Listen 21 min 35 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Isn't Beyoncé 'Bossy' - She's 'The BOSS' in New PSA to Empower Girls March 12 2014 8:04 PM
- World Explore Iran's Gay Underground Railroad March 12 2014 7:29 PM
- Film Is Frozen a Gay Indoctrination Manifesto? March 12 2014 7:25 PM
- Women WATCH: Is There Anyone a Pansexual Won't Date? March 12 2014 7:18 PM
- Politics Black Lesbian Nominated as Federal Judge Sails Through Hearing March 12 2014 7:10 PM
- Jamaica Judge: Homeless Jamaican LGBT Youth Can Live in Sewers March 12 2014 7:08 PM