Meet the People Fired for Being LGBT in 2013
BY Sunnivie Brydum
December 18 2013 6:30 AM ET
H. Adam Ackley, professor of theology at Azusa Pacific University in Azusa, Calif., until October:
After teaching religion for 15 years at the private Christian college in Southern California, Adam Ackley was asked to leave his position after he announced that he is a transgender man planning to seek a clinical gender transition, in addition to a divorce from his husband.
Azusa Pacific University administrators immediately asked Ackley to step down, claiming his gender identity was in conflict with the school's evangelical Christian doctrine, his attorney told KNBC in Los Angeles.
"While we appreciate Dr. Ackley’s past service and pray God's best for the journey ahead, we have reached a mutual agreement that recognizes it would be best for Dr. Ackley to pursue professional endeavors elsewhere," read a statement issued by the university October 7, confirming that would be Ackley's last day on campus.
Initial conversations between Ackley and university officials had indicated that Ackley might be able to finish the academic year — or at least the semester — on campus, but those conversations were apparently unsuccessful.
Students in Azusa's unofficial gay-straight alliance, Haven, rallied in Ackley's support, waving rainbow and transgender pride flags, and wearing shirts and holding banners reading "We Stand With Adam."
- Travel WATCH: Planes Battle Birmingham, England's Tail Winds March 15 2014 9:11 PM
- Religion Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia March 15 2014 7:41 PM
- Television WATCH: Out Rapper Le1f on Letterman March 15 2014 2:59 PM
- People WATCH: The Strong Bond Between Straight Women and Gay Men March 15 2014 2:52 PM
- Transgender Trans Contestant is Miss Congeniality at Calif. Beauty Pageant March 15 2014 11:57 AM
- Theater Injury Sidelines Christopher Sieber in Matilda March 15 2014 5:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina March 15 2014 4:00 AM