Meet the People Fired for Being LGBT in 2013
BY Sunnivie Brydum
December 18 2013 6:30 AM ET
Burke Wallace, varsity football coach at Livermore Valley Charter Prep High School in Livermore, Calif., until spring 2013:
Burke Wallace filed a lawsuit in November against the Livermore Valley Charter Prep High School, alleging that he was subjected to harassment and discrimination after he casually told colleagues that he was married to a man.
Wallace's attorney, John Furstenthal, said some parents and administrators did not want him to continue coaching the team once they found out about his sexual orientation. According to the lawsuit, filed in Alameda County Superior Court, Wallace's supervisors said it was a "bad idea" to have a gay football coach.
After being fired from the coaching position, Wallace said, he was essentially forced to leave his teaching job at the school due to harassment and stress.
"They may try to come up with all these different excuses, but I don't think they'll hold water in court," Furstenthal said. Wallace is suing for an undetermined amount in lost wages and fees.
- Kris Humphries Doesn't Support Bruce Jenner
- Bruce Jenner: 'I'm A Woman'
- Reba McEntire: First Time I Saw a Reba Drag Queen 'It Really Ticked Me Off'
- Check Out The Enormous Support for Bruce Jenner from Celebs on Twitter
- Op-ed: Michfest's Founder Chose to Shut Down Rather Than Change With the Times
- Ted Cruz/OUT NYC Fallout: Broadway Cares Cancels Benefit at Hotel