Fab or Fail? 2013's Cultural Ups and Downs
BY Michelle Garcia
December 20 2013 11:13 AM ET
Fab: Nike Ponies Up
Athletic apparel powerhouse Nike pledged hundreds of thousands of dollars to the fight to establish marriage equality in the headquarters' home state of Oregon. The company also launched a second set of pride gear. But to help dismantle fears that athletes would lose endorsements by coming out, when it was reported that Nike planned to offer an endorsement deal the first active player in a men's major league to come out.
Fail: Closeted NFL Players
It was widely rumored for months earlier this year that somewhere between one and four NFL players were planning to come out. It ended up not happening, and NBA player Jason Collins stole the spotlight with a memorable treatment in Sports Illustrated.
- Broadway Bares Gets Naked for the 25th Time
- America's Next Drag Superstar Is 22, Genderqueer, and a Trans Activist
- The 15 Best LGBT Summer Reads Include Anne Rice, Kevin Sessums
- 13 Gay Male Pop Stars and Their Long-Term Partners
- Courtney Act Is No Dumb Blonde
- Illusionist Jim Bailey Dies at 77; Performed as Garland, Streisand, and More