Five of the Best LGBT Graphic Novels of 2013
BY Jacob Anderson-Minshall
December 27 2013 6:09 AM ET
Flutter: Volume One: Hell Can Wait, Jennie Wood (CreateSpace): This story about a teen with superpowers and the ability to shape-shift is so much more than a superhero story or a metaphor for the transgender condition. When the teenage protagonist transforms from female to male, it exposes the gender stereotypes and arbitrary cultural rules that treat certain (particularly sexual) behaviors differently depending on if they’re from a boy or a girl. The complex story also involves transgenetic experimentation, environmental pollution, international espionage, lesbian love, and an anti-gay marriage campaign.
- Op-ed: Angelina Jolie's Choice Bolsters the Trans Argument
- Alan Cumming Is Bisexual — And You Might Be Too
- Mormon Missionary Positions
- Indiana Scrambling to 'Clarify' Discriminatory Law
- Charles Barkley: Move Final Four Out of Indiana
- Is This Photo Proof Mike Pence Knew RFRA Discriminates Against LGBTs?