And the Crown Goes To...
BY Julie Bolcer
June 29 2009 12:00 AM ET
While Vikky and Deoine plan to attend different local colleges in the fall, they intend to stay close to each other, especially since they became engaged in December, as Deoine reveals during the interview by pointing to a ring on her finger. She says she would like to get married in New York, although that is not a legal option yet.
"We want the same things as somebody who's straight," she says. "So why can't we get it?"
Neither young woman considers herself an activist, but Deoine hints that she follows gay rights developments somewhat closely. She mentions Cynthia Nixon and Ellen DeGeneres as role models, and refers to Sergio Garcia, the 18-year-old Los Angeles student voted prom queen by his class in May.
Asked what they want to show through their title as "best couple" in their South Bronx high school, Deoine, who describes herself as the more talkative of the two, summarizes their agenda.
"I hope people can see that we're just people," she says. "Everybody should have an equal place somewhere, even if it's in a yearbook or getting married. We all should get the same rights as everybody else. It doesn't matter who we like, or what we want to do in life."
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination 1 hour 20 min ago
- Current Issue The Miseducation of Destin Holmes 2 hours 40 sec ago
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality May 20 2013 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay May 20 2013 6:48 PM