Petition to NYC Archbishop: Meet With Homeless LGBT Youth
BY Trudy Ring
April 16 2012 8:49 PM ET
Joseph Amodeo, a gay Roman Catholic who recently resigned from a Catholic Charities board because of the church’s stance on LGBT issues, has initiated a petition calling on New York archbishop Timothy Dolan to meet with homeless LGBT young people.
Amodeo quit the junior board of the New York branch of Catholic Charities this month following an exchange of letters between Dolan and Carl Siciliano, executive director of the Ali Forney Center, which serves homeless LGBT youth. Siciliano wrote to Dolan expressing concern that the archbishop’s “loud and strident voice against the acceptance of LGBT people” creates “a climate where parents turn on their own children” and therefore contributes to homelessness.
Dolan responded, “For you to make the allegations and insinuations you do in your letter based on my adherence to the clear teachings of the Church is not only unfair and unjust, but inflammatory. Neither I nor anyone in the Church would ever tolerate hatred of or prejudice towards any of the Lord’s children.”
In his letter of resignation from the Catholic Charities board, Amodeo decried Dolan’s “inaction” in response to the Ali Forney Center’s “call for help” and said, “Siciliano's comments were not inflammatory, they were truth.” Now Amodeo’s petition, posted on Change.org, calls on Dolan “to meet with homeless LGBT youth, hear their stories, and dialogue with them.” He plans to deliver the signed petitions to the archbishop May 17, the Feast of the Ascension. To see or sign the petition, click here.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good As Dead, Say Advocates
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Marriage Equality Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says 19 min 22 sec ago
- Women Op-Ed: Case of Lesbian Teen Kaitlyn Hunt Raises Questions About Sexual Double Standard 31 min 55 sec ago
- Music WATCH: Is This the Worst Music Video Ever? 45 min 33 sec ago
- Transgender Jesse Tyler Ferguson Slams His Former Catholic School's Transphobic Graduation Policy 45 min 38 sec ago
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame 47 min 4 sec ago
- Politics Democratic 'Betrayal' Leaves Binational LGBT Families Stranded 58 min 26 sec ago
- Travel Peace Corps Opens to Same-Sex Couples 1 hour 13 min ago