Meet the 2012 Point Scholars
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 14 2012 9:43 AM ET
Boston College Law School
Kathryn Kendall was raised in a traditional, privileged Southern family. Expressing individuality often meant ostracization. So her coming‐out experience at the end of high school was harsh. Thankfully, Kendall soon found a small but accepting group of friends at the University of Virginia through the Queer Student Union and the University of Virginia women's rugby team. She turned to her new friends in these social networks as she struggled with family problems and worked to accept her identity as a lesbian woman.
After being accepted into Teach for America, Kendall was placed in a school in rural Eastern North Carolina. Kendall quickly discovered that she would have to sacrifice her identity as a lesbian because North Carolina is a state where it is legally permissible to fire a teacher because of their sexuality. So Kendall concealed her sexuality, dodged personal questions and listened to homophobic comments from her co‐workers and administrators.
All the while, Kendall struggled with remaining silent. But after having had this experience she now fully understands the necessity of LGBT legal reform. The marginalization she faced has inspired Kendall to go to Boston College Law School. And she is looking forward to being an agent of change so that one day equality can overcome injustice.
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM