Meet the 2012 Point Scholars
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 14 2012 8:43 AM ET
Wells Fargo Point Scholar
Program in Liberal Medical Education
When he got to high school, Noah Lupica joined his school’s gay-straight alliance and began organizing programs to increase awareness of LGBT issues. He focused his senior year on producing a documentary film and discussion-based outreach program to address the discomfort felt by Portland, Maine's large immigrant population surrounding issues of gender identity and sexual orientation.
Lupica is also an aspiring scientist and in 2011 was awarded a research fellowship to conduct microbiological stem cell research at the Mount Desert Island Biological Laboratory. He received another research fellowship for the summer of 2012 to conduct Type I diabetes research at the Jackson Laboratory in Bar Harbor, Maine. Lupica has been admitted to the eight-year Program in Liberal Medical Education at Brown University; he expects to graduate in 2016 and then go on to earn his medical degree from Brown’s Warren Alpert Medical School in 2020. As a physician, Lupica plans to serve the needs of LGBT patients.
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- Defending Anti-LGBT Laws, Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance'
- Game of Thrones Video Game Announced
- Women 17 Reasons to Swoon Over Androgynous Model Harmony Boucher December 12 2013 8:48 PM
- Travel WestJet Showers Fliers With Holiday Gifts December 12 2013 8:18 PM
- Television 5 Reasons to Plug In to Masters of Sex December 12 2013 7:22 PM
- Travel VIDEO: Travel Helps People Live Longer, Says Study December 12 2013 6:35 PM
- Music WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts Song to Help Gay Russians December 12 2013 6:08 PM
- Religion WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Warns Robertson December 12 2013 6:03 PM
- Women 3 Gay Lady-Related Golden Globe Nominations that Make Us Happy! December 12 2013 4:20 PM