Meet the 2012 Point Scholars
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 14 2012 8:43 AM ET
Wells Fargo Point Scholar
Program in Liberal Medical Education
When he got to high school, Noah Lupica joined his school’s gay-straight alliance and began organizing programs to increase awareness of LGBT issues. He focused his senior year on producing a documentary film and discussion-based outreach program to address the discomfort felt by Portland, Maine's large immigrant population surrounding issues of gender identity and sexual orientation.
Lupica is also an aspiring scientist and in 2011 was awarded a research fellowship to conduct microbiological stem cell research at the Mount Desert Island Biological Laboratory. He received another research fellowship for the summer of 2012 to conduct Type I diabetes research at the Jackson Laboratory in Bar Harbor, Maine. Lupica has been admitted to the eight-year Program in Liberal Medical Education at Brown University; he expects to graduate in 2016 and then go on to earn his medical degree from Brown’s Warren Alpert Medical School in 2020. As a physician, Lupica plans to serve the needs of LGBT patients.
- Love and Sex Single, Fun, Fit, and 50 1 min ago
- Travel Travelogue: News and Notes from Philly, San Diego and More 17 min 48 sec ago
- Politics Virginia's House Repeals Sodomy Ban 1 hour 17 min ago
- Crime WATCH: Gay Couple Attacked in NYC on 10th Anniversary 1 hour 23 min ago
- Theater Late Gay TV Star's Play Eyes Broadway 2 hours 7 min ago
- Commentary Why Is the St Patrick's Day Parade So Important to LGBT Activists? 2 hours 7 min ago
- Comedy WATCH: Jeffrey: The Series Episode 7, ‘Velvet Rope’ 2 hours 9 min ago