Meet the 2012 Point Scholars
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 14 2012 9:43 AM ET
Peace, Justice & Conflict Studies and Philosophy
Alyssa Mandula is majoring in peace, justice and conflict studies and philosophy DePaul University in Chicago while minoring in LGBT studies. Mandula was born and raised in the conservative town of Bloomington, Illinois, where she started her high school's gay‐straight alliance and ran The Central Illinois Safe School Alliance. She has worked as a national ambassador for The Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network, on the Youth Advisory Council for the The Trevor Project, and as a peer educator for Planned Parenthood. At DePaul, Mandula is deeply wrapped up in the LGBT community and the university’s queer group, Spectrum. In her short career as an activist, Mandula said she's met incredible people, but nothing motivates her more than her older sister, Holly, who has been a mentor, a sister and her best friend. Mandula plans to make a career out of fighting for educational equality for trans and genderqueer youth. She envisions a world where the gender binary is not the only way society knows how to look at and accept gender, and she is making that happen by educating her peers and challenging gender norms.
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- California Becomes First State to Ban Gay, Trans 'Panic' Defenses
- Read This Mich. Democrat's Epic Response to Antigay Group's 'Pile of Excrement'
- Bible-Quoting Man Shoots Couple With BB Gun Outside Minneapolis Gay Bar
- Modern Family Director Live-Tweets a Plane Passenger's Drunken Meltdown
- STUDY: Number of Married Same-Sex Couples Up by 50 Percent in Three Years