Meet the 2012 Point Scholars
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 14 2012 9:43 AM ET
Allan Gilmour & Eric Jirgens Point Scholar
Grand Valley State University
History and Sociology
Xinyi Ou says her love of learning and activism have been constant even when her difficult experiences with homelessness, sexual assault, and marginalization threatened to obstruct her path to higher education.
Ou is nwo studying history and sociology at Grand Valley State University, the place where she first fell in love with the restorative powers found in academia and social justice. She is pursuing research she loves and creating the kind of change she wants to see on campus, most recently dealing with gender-neutral housing.
But in her sophomore year of high school, Ou left an abusive household to live alone and support herself. She credits her close circle of accepting friends and her many amazing mentors for her achievements. Having found a true family in her LGBT community, Ou strives to ensure that every youth has access to the resources, education, and caring that they need to excel no matter their goals.
- WATCH: This Indiana Pizzeria Won't Cater Gay Weddings
- Arrow and The Flash Stars: It's Time for a Gay Superhero on TV (Video)
- Alan Cumming Is Bisexual — And You Might Be Too
- More Celebs Tweet Off on Indiana
- WATCH: Conan's Hilarious Interview With Indiana's 'Religious Freedom Czar'
- An Open Letter from a Transgender Rabbi to Trans Teens Everywhere