Meet the 2012 Point Scholars
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 14 2012 8:43 AM ET
Allan Gilmour & Eric Jirgens Point Scholar
Grand Valley State University
History and Sociology
Xinyi Ou says her love of learning and activism have been constant even when her difficult experiences with homelessness, sexual assault, and marginalization threatened to obstruct her path to higher education.
Ou is nwo studying history and sociology at Grand Valley State University, the place where she first fell in love with the restorative powers found in academia and social justice. She is pursuing research she loves and creating the kind of change she wants to see on campus, most recently dealing with gender-neutral housing.
But in her sophomore year of high school, Ou left an abusive household to live alone and support herself. She credits her close circle of accepting friends and her many amazing mentors for her achievements. Having found a true family in her LGBT community, Ou strives to ensure that every youth has access to the resources, education, and caring that they need to excel no matter their goals.
- Politics Gay Former Republican Congressman Condemns Interparty Discrimination 19 min 24 sec ago
- World News Putin Tightens Grip on Kremlin-Run News Agencies 24 min 20 sec ago
- Film Redbox Picks Up Bridegroom Despite Rule Against Documentaries 33 min 12 sec ago
- Travel Super Seniors of the Palm Springs Follies Prepare for the End 37 min 31 sec ago
- Acceptance Matters WATCH: We Wish Every Coming Out Got a Hug-a-Thon 46 min 57 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Antigay Think Tank Could Use a Copy Editor 51 min 11 sec ago
- Television WATCH: The Super Trailer for RuPaul's Drag Race Season 6 1 hour 40 min ago