Meet the 2012 Point Scholars
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 14 2012 9:43 AM ET
Allan Gilmour & Eric Jirgens Point Scholar
Grand Valley State University
History and Sociology
Xinyi Ou says her love of learning and activism have been constant even when her difficult experiences with homelessness, sexual assault, and marginalization threatened to obstruct her path to higher education.
Ou is nwo studying history and sociology at Grand Valley State University, the place where she first fell in love with the restorative powers found in academia and social justice. She is pursuing research she loves and creating the kind of change she wants to see on campus, most recently dealing with gender-neutral housing.
But in her sophomore year of high school, Ou left an abusive household to live alone and support herself. She credits her close circle of accepting friends and her many amazing mentors for her achievements. Having found a true family in her LGBT community, Ou strives to ensure that every youth has access to the resources, education, and caring that they need to excel no matter their goals.
- One of the Original X-Men Comes Out as Gay (Spoilers)
- EXCLUSIVE: Josh Groban Sings "Over The Rainbow"
- More of You Could Be Fired for Getting Married
- WATCH: Ireland's New Marriage Equality Ad Will Give You Goosebumps
- The World's Most Famous Trans Model Sits Down With Vogue
- Speak Now: Prop. 8 Decision Will Pave Way for National Marriage Victory