Meet the 2012 Point Scholars
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 14 2012 9:43 AM ET
HBO Point Scholar
Baruch College - City University of New York
Oraia Reid is social entrepreneur with a decade of experience empowering communities on behalf of LGBT rights, socio/political justice, and women’s rights with a focus on ending sexual assault. As the executive director of RightRides for Women’s Safety, Reid was instrumental in launching the organization. She called upon her experience as a low‐income, queer‐identified survivor of assault. And now RightRides for Women’s Safety is an award‐winning, nationally recognized leader in fostering grassroots responses to gender‐based violence.
Reid lives in Brooklyn, N.Y. and attends the City University of New York - Baruch College, where she studies sociology, international relations and entrepreneurship.
- Op-ed: How Transparent Tried and Failed to Represent Trans Men
- Idaho Gov. Begs Court to Reverse 'Bad Law' of Marriage Equality
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- In Their Own Words: Men of Color Explain Why They Take PrEP
- N.C. Senate Leader Seeks to Let County Officials Opt Out of Same-Sex Marriages
- WATCH: Kansas Gov. Stands Behind Marriage Ban, Decries 'Liberal Judges'