Meet the 2012 Point Scholars
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 14 2012 9:43 AM ET
Johns Hopkins University
Policy and Leadership
Pete Subkoviak was born in Madison, Wisconsin to two loving, religious parents. He entered the world physically female but never identified as anything other than male.
From the age of 3, Subkoviak insisted he was a boy. At the time, mental health professionals knew little about gender identity and encouraged Subkoviak to change his identity. By age 10, he had become deeply depressed and suicidal. After several years and with the support of family and friends, Subkoviak finally began to physically transition, gained a second chance at life, and went after it with passion.
Subkoviak became a de facto public speaker during college, teaching medical and education professionals about the transgender community. He also interned for Sen. Russ Feingold. After graduating from the University of Wisconsin ‐ Madison, Subkoviak pursued a career dedicated to the public good, working on state and federal HIV policy for the AIDS Foundation of Chicago. There, he led the Illinois Alliance for Sound AIDS Policy, a grassroots coalition of AIDS advocates, and sat on the citywide LGBT coalition to progress LGBT rights in Chicago. Subkoviak is now partnering with a local charity to create an innovative transgender employment program that would be the community's first dual housing and employment program.
Subkoviak is pursuing a Masters of Public Health degree with a concentration in policy and leadership at the Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health.
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books March 09 2014 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah March 09 2014 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions March 09 2014 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open March 09 2014 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play March 09 2014 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' March 09 2014 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM