Meet the 2012 Point Scholars
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 14 2012 8:43 AM ET
Johns Hopkins University
Policy and Leadership
Pete Subkoviak was born in Madison, Wisconsin to two loving, religious parents. He entered the world physically female but never identified as anything other than male.
From the age of 3, Subkoviak insisted he was a boy. At the time, mental health professionals knew little about gender identity and encouraged Subkoviak to change his identity. By age 10, he had become deeply depressed and suicidal. After several years and with the support of family and friends, Subkoviak finally began to physically transition, gained a second chance at life, and went after it with passion.
Subkoviak became a de facto public speaker during college, teaching medical and education professionals about the transgender community. He also interned for Sen. Russ Feingold. After graduating from the University of Wisconsin ‐ Madison, Subkoviak pursued a career dedicated to the public good, working on state and federal HIV policy for the AIDS Foundation of Chicago. There, he led the Illinois Alliance for Sound AIDS Policy, a grassroots coalition of AIDS advocates, and sat on the citywide LGBT coalition to progress LGBT rights in Chicago. Subkoviak is now partnering with a local charity to create an innovative transgender employment program that would be the community's first dual housing and employment program.
Subkoviak is pursuing a Masters of Public Health degree with a concentration in policy and leadership at the Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health.
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: One Day in Big Gaylarious America 30 min 51 sec ago
- Holiday Gifts for Everyone 15 Gifts to Keep You Gorgeous 1 hour 31 min ago
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Differences Don't Make Families Inferior 2 hours 30 min ago
- Parenting Nonprofit Serves Up Resource to Answer LGBT Parents' Questions 2 hours 31 min ago
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' December 11 2013 7:10 PM