Meet the 2012 Point Scholars
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 14 2012 8:43 AM ET
Wells Fargo Point Scholar
Harvard Medical School Medicine
Cary Crall's activism for the LGBT community began at age 3 when he announced to his playgroup, “I don’t want to be a boy, I want to be a girl so I can wear nail polish.” He then painted his nails bright red.
Born into a devout Mormon family in Temecula, Calif., Crall values his religious tradition for teaching him to serve others as a way to find happiness. But as he became more confident in his sexual identity, Crall often felt the strain of a religious organization that failed to validate some of the most important parts of his humanity. The Mormon Church’s involvement in Proposition 8 was a turning point for Crall.
While a student at Brigham Young University, Crall risked being kicked out of school by submitting an opinion piece to the school’s newspaper challenging the Mormon Church’s support of Proposition 8. The letter drew national media attention after it was censored and removed from the newspaper’s archives.
For writing and then defending his letter, Crall was named one of The Advocate's "Forty Under 40.” But Crall's activism continues, with him fighting for non‐discrimination ordinances in his conservative Utah community and helping to make BYU safer and more supportive for its LGBT students. He is co‐president of Harvard Medical School’s LGBT student group, where he has initiated curriculum reform focused on improving health care disparities that affect LGBT people and other disadvantaged groups.
- Television WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever! 59 min 7 sec ago
- Comedy Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School 1 hour 58 min ago
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: These Couples Prove Love Is Love 2 hours 58 min ago
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics December 08 2013 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License December 08 2013 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 December 08 2013 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' December 08 2013 9:10 AM