Meet the 2012 Point Scholars
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 14 2012 9:43 AM ET
Wells Fargo Point Scholar
SUNY Upstate Medical University
Shane Du grew up in conservative, rural China. Battling incessant harassment because of her gender expression, she found solace in academics.
Du obtained a BS degree in Chemical Engineering and came to the U.S. with a graduate engineering scholarship. Based on her experiences and that of her LGBT friends, Du is deeply concerned about the lack of access to compassionate health care for LGBT patients and is determined to lead changes. She will attend medical school in the fall and aspires to work as a primary care physician primarily serving LGBT patients.
- EXCLUSIVE: Watch the Official Trailer for 54: The Director's Cut
- PHOTOS: International Mr. Leather Weekend
- BREAKING: How About a President Santorum?
- Why Can't We Talk About Homophobia in the Black Community?
- Op-ed: Let's Keep the Momentum Going After Win in Ireland
- The Cities LGBTs Love And the Ones We Shun