Meet the 2012 Point Scholars
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 14 2012 9:43 AM ET
Wells Fargo Point Scholar
SUNY Upstate Medical University
Shane Du grew up in conservative, rural China. Battling incessant harassment because of her gender expression, she found solace in academics.
Du obtained a BS degree in Chemical Engineering and came to the U.S. with a graduate engineering scholarship. Based on her experiences and that of her LGBT friends, Du is deeply concerned about the lack of access to compassionate health care for LGBT patients and is determined to lead changes. She will attend medical school in the fall and aspires to work as a primary care physician primarily serving LGBT patients.
- 5 HIV-Positive Men Give Advice to Their Former Selves
- Pride at Work Tells HRC: ‘Enough Is Enough’
- Colorado Springs Grindr Hookup Ends in Murder
- WATCH: Miley Cyrus Features LGBT Youth and Drag Queens in VMA's Closing Number
- Black Trans Woman Ashley Diamond Released from Prison After 3 Years
- Jenny Boylan Tells Caitlyn Jenner: 'Don't Be a Stupid' Woman