Meet the 2012 Point Scholars
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 14 2012 8:43 AM ET
Wells Fargo Point Scholar
SUNY Upstate Medical University
Shane Du grew up in conservative, rural China. Battling incessant harassment because of her gender expression, she found solace in academics.
Du obtained a BS degree in Chemical Engineering and came to the U.S. with a graduate engineering scholarship. Based on her experiences and that of her LGBT friends, Du is deeply concerned about the lack of access to compassionate health care for LGBT patients and is determined to lead changes. She will attend medical school in the fall and aspires to work as a primary care physician primarily serving LGBT patients.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- Bringing Diversity to the Digital Realm
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season December 04 2013 7:41 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity December 04 2013 7:25 PM
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional December 04 2013 4:50 PM
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs December 04 2013 4:36 PM
- Sports You Can Play and NFL Team Up With LGBT Youth December 04 2013 3:37 PM