Meet the 2012 Point Scholars
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 14 2012 9:43 AM ET
Wells Fargo Point Scholar
When Angela Filley came out to her family and close friends, she was blessed to be met with acceptance and love. But Filley was disappointed in how her West Lafayette, Indiana community and school responded. So she launched the “ThinkB4YouSpeak” campaign at her high school and brought the issue of teacher sensitivity into the spotlight. Filley also was active in helping launch her school’s gay-straight alliance. As a firm believer in the power of imagery, Filley created a series of visual art pieces that were posted throughout her school and focused on increasing awareness of the adverse effects of LGBT‐bullying.
Filley’s research at Purdue University introduced her to the challenge of energy security, inspiring in her a strong commitment to developing sustainable energy resources. She helped create a comparative analysis of cap-and-trade policies and worked in the Birck Nanotechnology Center in a lab that develops regenerative solar cells. She now is working on water quality in an agricultural and biological engineering lab.
Filley also has a passion for business and politics. She is State President of the Indiana Future Business Leaders of America and plans on majoring in financial engineering at Columbia University with a minor in sustainable energy entrepreneurship. Filley is committed to becoming active in politics and working tirelessly to challenge the status quo on LGBT policies.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa 4:00 AM
- Education Theological School Grads Show Support With Rainbow Tassels May 24 2013 8:55 PM
- Technology Want the Worst? Search for 'Gayest' May 24 2013 8:25 PM
- The End of Bullying WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student May 24 2013 7:58 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt Refuses Plea, Heads to Court Over Same-Sex High School Relationship May 24 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics Ukrainian LGBT Pride Event Blocked May 24 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports MMA Fighter in First Fight Since Revealing Gender Transition May 24 2013 7:00 PM