Meet the 2012 Point Scholars
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 14 2012 8:43 AM ET
Wells Fargo Point Scholar
When Angela Filley came out to her family and close friends, she was blessed to be met with acceptance and love. But Filley was disappointed in how her West Lafayette, Indiana community and school responded. So she launched the “ThinkB4YouSpeak” campaign at her high school and brought the issue of teacher sensitivity into the spotlight. Filley also was active in helping launch her school’s gay-straight alliance. As a firm believer in the power of imagery, Filley created a series of visual art pieces that were posted throughout her school and focused on increasing awareness of the adverse effects of LGBT‐bullying.
Filley’s research at Purdue University introduced her to the challenge of energy security, inspiring in her a strong commitment to developing sustainable energy resources. She helped create a comparative analysis of cap-and-trade policies and worked in the Birck Nanotechnology Center in a lab that develops regenerative solar cells. She now is working on water quality in an agricultural and biological engineering lab.
Filley also has a passion for business and politics. She is State President of the Indiana Future Business Leaders of America and plans on majoring in financial engineering at Columbia University with a minor in sustainable energy entrepreneurship. Filley is committed to becoming active in politics and working tirelessly to challenge the status quo on LGBT policies.
- Women Ellen's Oscars' Selfie Gets Simpson-ized! March 06 2014 7:56 PM
- Travel General Motors Hopes to Impress You at Mammoth Gay Ski Week March 06 2014 7:24 PM
- Women WATCH: American Idol's Out Contestant MK Nobilette Does 'Drops of Jupiter' March 06 2014 7:18 PM
- Books Gay Propaganda Brings Russian Love Stories to Light March 06 2014 6:06 PM
- Film Jamie Lee Curtis Bringing Life of First Gay Baseball Player to Big Screen March 06 2014 5:48 PM
- Politics Here's Why Facebook Is Sponsoring Right-Wing CPAC Event March 06 2014 5:12 PM
- Media News Anchor on Russia's RT Network Quits Job on Air in Protest March 06 2014 4:34 PM