Meet the 2012 Point Scholars
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 14 2012 9:43 AM ET
Wells Fargo Point Scholar
Economics and Government
Marco Herndon was born in Atlanta to a Peruvian mother and American father, and raised between Peru, Atlanta, and Washington, D.C. Though his upbringing was marked by instability, it brought him closer to his Peruvian heritage and made him more independent and introspective.
During middle school, Herndon experienced verbal and physical assault because of his sexuality — an experience that had a profound effect on him. Herndon came out in the tenth grade. And although he frequently relocated, he nonetheless led a gay‐straight alliance and formed a Latin-American student organization. In Washington, D.C., he took advantage of the city’s highly developed network of non‐profits and focused his interest on issues affecting marginalized youth by interning at an LGBT youth rights organization and as a mentor and instructor to urban youth.
After graduating, Herndon continued to pursue his extracurricular interests on a gap year with City Year – a national service program – and created community service projects for under‐resourced D.C. public schools and communities.
Now as a student at Dartmouth College, Herndon plans to concentrate in government and economics with a focus on international development. He hopes to one day lead community revitalization efforts that expand socioeconomic diversity and youth development.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
- Nintendo Will 'Fix' Bug That Allows Same-Sex Couples to Marry in Video Game
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination 4 min 53 sec ago
- Current Issue The Miseducation of Destin Holmes 45 min 14 sec ago
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality May 20 2013 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay May 20 2013 6:48 PM