Take a Look Back: Gay at the Prom
BY Michelle Garcia
June 20 2012 5:00 AM ET
Celeste Padilla, 2004: I am a lesbian from a small town in Texas called Lyford. In 2004, my senior year of high school, my fiancée and I attended our senior prom together. We had been a couple for six months and were not only the first openly gay couple at prom, but also the first openly gay couple at our high school. We had a great time and were fortunate enough not to have been discriminated against. After we graduated, several other students came up to me to say I encouraged them to be open about themselves. I am now a recent law school graduate who hopes to continue to change the world, one perspective at a time. Here we are, my fiancée and me at our high school prom in 2004. I am the one in the pink dress, and my fiancée, Davina Vasquez, is the one in the tuxedo.
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Rep. Steve King Wants Congress to Denounce Supreme Court's Marriage Equality Ruling
- President Obama Has Not Called for LGBT National Holiday
- Meet the First Trans Pastor Officially Ordained by the Evangelical Lutheran Church
- Christian Woman Records Herself Losing It Over Marriage Equality, Gets Remixed
- WATCH: Rick Santorum Thinks 'People Aren't Getting Married'