WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
BY Sunnivie Brydum
May 23 2013 4:00 AM ET
As the Boy Scouts of America's National Council today considers reversing its long-standing ban on openly gay youth in scounting's ranks, a new video puts the more than 1,400 voting members in the room as one 19-year-old Eagle Scout revealed to his camp director that he is gay.
Eric Jones had long been an active member of the Boy Scouts and most recently was employed at the organization's annual summer camp in Missouri. Taking to heart the core principles that dictate a scout is "trustworthy and loyal," Jones said he decided to tell the camp director that he is gay. And he caught the leader's reaction on video.
The director, whose face and voice are obscured in the footage below, had a strong, if not wholly unexpected, reaction. The director laments being forced to remove Jones from the program, saying, "I really wish you hadn't done that." The director claims Jones' "lifestyle" isn't a problem for him personally, and so the blame for being kicked out is placed squarely on Jones for having divulged it.
The video, shared exclusively with The Advocate, is part of a larger documentary from filmmaker Ryan James Yezak, titled Second Class Citizens. The film is still in production, and Yezak is seeking funds to complete the documentary and begin screening it — those interested can donate to his campaign here.
Watch video of the coming out moment below.
Watch the moving trailer for Second Class Citizens on the following page.
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- 13 Classic Companies Top HRC's New Corporate Equality Index
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Bryan Singer Announces News for Next X-Men Film
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- Media PHOTOS: Adam Lambert, Jane Lynch, Chris Colfer, Fergie at TrevorLIVE Benefit December 09 2013 9:41 PM
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke December 09 2013 8:01 PM
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square December 09 2013 7:52 PM
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? December 09 2013 7:09 PM
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album December 09 2013 6:08 PM
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS December 09 2013 6:04 PM
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback December 09 2013 4:10 PM