Kentucky Church Cuts Ties with Boy Scouts Over Gay Youth
BY Sunnivie Brydum
May 29 2013 12:32 PM ET
An evangelical church in Louisville, Ky., will cease its sponsorship of a local Boy Scout troop over the Boy Scouts of America's recent decision to admit openly gay youth, but continue barring participation by gay or lesbian adults.
The executive pastor at Southeast Christian Church told the Louisville Courier-Journal that the organization has become too polarizing. Church leaders began discussing the issue around the same time the BSA announced it would reconsider its long-standing ban on "open or avowed homosexuals" last summer.
After much debate, church elders decided that supporting the local Boy Scouts was a step too far. Hester said the policy change was a "catalyst" for the church's decision, but wasn't the only issue driving the decision.
"Truly for us it's a logical decision," pastor Tim Hester told the Journal. "We cannot be distracted from the mission God has called us to… We want everyone, including ourselves, to live by biblical standards."
Between Boy Scout Troop and Cub Scout Pack 212, roughly 300 families participate in Scouting events held at the church, according to the Journal. The Scouts have until the end of the year to find a new meeting location.
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Op-ed: In Defense of Jared Leto
- Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah 29 min 8 sec ago
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions 33 min 35 sec ago
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open 1 hour 48 min ago
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 2 hours 37 min ago
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM
- Religion Archbishop Dolan to NFL Hopeful Michael Sam: 'Bravo' UPDATED: March 08 2014 6:04 PM