Despite Warnings, Gay Boy Scouts March in Salt Lake Pride
BY Sunnivie Brydum
June 03 2013 1:31 PM ET
Defying orders from the chief scouting executive for the Great Salt Lake Scouts Council, gay Boy Scouts and alums wore their uniforms while marching in Salt Lake City's Pride Parade Sunday, reports NBC News.
On Saturday, the chief scouting executive warned Utah Boy Scouts that they would face repercussions if they wore their uniforms in the parade, citing the organization's policy to "not advocate any social or political position." The executive was not clear about the consequences those who wore uniforms would face.
But Kenji Mikesell, an 18-year-old Eagle Scout, followed through on his plan to wear his Eagle Scout uniform in the parade.
"It just feels like the right thing to do," Mikesell told NBC. "It's kind of a way of saying we want you here. Scouting has been a very positive influence in my life, and I'd like to to see more people take advantage of it now that the ban has been lifted."
In May, the Boy Scouts of America rescinded its long-standing ban on "open or avowed homosexuals" within its ranks, although the organization continues to bar gay or lesbian adults from serving as scouts or leaders.
Mikesell, whose troop is sponsored by a local Mormon church, was joined by a small group of uniformed Boy Scouts, Cub Scouts, and former scouts marching with a pro-LGBT group from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints called Mormons Building Bridges. More than 300 Mormons marched with the group, which received thunderous applause from bystanders along the parade route, according to Utah's Deseret News.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination
- Why Television Is Outpacing Film in Diversity
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist March 10 2014 7:44 PM
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! March 10 2014 6:22 PM
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias March 10 2014 6:08 PM