Calif. Bill on Scouts' Tax Exemption on Hold
BY Trudy Ring
September 13 2013 8:11 PM ET
A California bill that would take away the Boy Scouts of America’s state tax exemption because of the organization’s antigay policies has been placed on hold.
State senator Ricardo Lara, the bill’s sponsor, decided to place it on inactive status Thursday because he did not think there were sufficient votes in the Assembly to pass it, the Los Angeles Times reports. It had already been approved by the Senate.
Earlier this year, the BSA’s National Council decided to allow openly gay youths to participate, but it kept a ban on gay adult leaders, so Lara had proceeded with his legislation, which would also apply to other nonprofit groups that discriminate.
The legislature adjourned for the year Thursday, but it will come back in January, and Lara can choose to reactivate his bill then. He issued a statement saying the proposal “is alive and well,” adding, “As this is the first year to a two-year legislative session, we will be taking the next few months to work closely with all parties involved to address and refine this legislation. As session reconvenes in January, the passage of this bill and fighting against the discrimination of California’s LGBT community continues to be of paramount importance.”
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- Is The GOP Discriminating Against Its Gay Candidates?
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- Style Model Watch: Learn How To Charm The Camera With Marc Buckner 28 min 20 sec ago
- Election Is The GOP Discriminating Against Its Gay Candidates? 1 hour 2 min ago
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Queer Cruise Excursion? 1 hour 5 min ago
- Military Louisiana National Guard Will Extend Partner Benefits 1 hour 15 min ago
- Politics WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor 1 hour 16 min ago
- Election Chris Christie Gets Heat for Backing Oklahoma's Governor 1 hour 23 min ago
- Women WATCH: Taylor Schilling and Lizzy Caplan in Variety Roundtable 1 hour 28 min ago