WATCH: College Disciplines Gay Teen Threatened with Knife
BY Sunnivie Brydum
September 16 2013 11:40 AM ET
A gay student at the University of Central Missouri said the school's administration doubly victimized him when they issued a disciplinary letter to the 18-year-old after he reported that his former roommate threatened him with a knife while making antigay statements.
Alex Worthley said his randomly assigned freshman roommate at UCM told him early this semester that he didn't like gay people, and he asked not to be placed in a room with someone who was openly gay. Then, when the roommate asked Worthley to turn down his music one day, Worthley said the conversation turned suddenly hostile.
"He was like, 'I do have a knife and I'll use it if I have to,'" Worthley told TV station WDAF. After Worthley reported the incident to school authorities, he says they gave both students separate rooms — and formal letters of discipline.
"There seems to be a strong possibility that some of your own actions and comments were part of the reason this situation escalated from jesting to threatening," reads the letter from school officials.
Worthley, who has his own room now, told the station he doesn't think he was responsible and shouldn't have been given the same kind of disciplinary letter as his roommate, who he contends was the sole aggressor.
"[It] made me feel like, because I'm gay, that it was my fault that those threats were made," Worthley told WDAF.
Watch WDAF's report below.
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- Colo. School Board Member Denies Existence of Gay, Trans Identities
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 1 hour 56 min ago
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM