LGBT Students, Teachers Embrace Day of Silence
BY Kevin OKeeffe
April 11 2014 2:39 PM ET
A search for those honoring the #DayOfSilence on Twitter today drew plenty of reasons to feel good about the current state of schools support for the LGBT students inside them.
Founded in 1996, the Gay, Lesbian, and Straight Education Network's Day of Silence is designed to draw attention to the chilling effect anti-LGBT bullying has on campuses nationwide. Thanks to social media, advocates young and old keeping silent today can find thousands of others doing the same at the click of a mouse.
We've collected a sampling of supportive selfies and messages from Twitter below — share yours with the hashtag #DayOfSilence.
— Alegria (@AF1_Nena) April 11, 2014
— Hudson Taylor (@hudsonism) April 11, 2014
— Kane Atticus (@KaneAtticus) April 11, 2014
— Chris Hamilton (@ChrissybooJacob) April 11, 2014
- Report: Couple Refuses Deal in Torture Case
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- WATCH: Bianca Del Rio and Adore Delano Star in Starbucks' First LGBT Commercial
- Op-ed: It Is Time to End Bottom-Shaming
- Ask a Doctor Why He Supports PrEP
- 20 Touching, Funny, and Silly Twitter Reactions to Tim Cook's Coming-Out