Phillies, Rays Say “It Gets Better”
BY Trudy Ring
August 31 2011 1:15 PM ET
The Philadelphia Phillies, currently in first place in the National League East, and the Tampa Bay Rays have become the latest pro sports teams to release videos for the It Gets Better Project, designed to offer hope to LGBT young people who are being bullied or harassed.
The Phillies’ video features star pitcher and Cy Young Award winner Roy Halladay, along with second baseman Chase Utley, outfielders Hunter Pence and John Mayberry Jr., and pitcher Mike Stutes.
The Rays’ contribution has outfielder Johnny Damon discussing the severe stuttering problem he had as a youth and saying, “As you can see me now, it gets better.” Also in the video are outfielders B.J. Upton and Sam Fuld, second baseman Sean Rodriguez, and manager Joe Maddon.
The two join other Major League Baseball franchises that have made videos for the campaign: the Seattle Mariners, who included athletes from other Seattle pro sports teams in their video as well as members of the baseball team, the Baltimore Orioles, the Boston Red Sox, the Chicago Cubs, and the San Francisco Giants.
Watch the Phillies’ and Rays’ videos here and on the following page.
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Bryan Singer Announces News for Next X-Men Film
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- Redbox Picks Up Bridegroom Despite Rule Against Documentaries
- Politics Gay Former Republican Congressman Condemns Interparty Discrimination 1 hour 53 min ago
- World News Putin Tightens Grip on Kremlin-Run News Agencies 1 hour 58 min ago
- Film Redbox Picks Up Bridegroom Despite Rule Against Documentaries 2 hours 6 min ago
- Travel Super Seniors of the Palm Springs Follies Prepare for the End 2 hours 11 min ago
- Film Bryan Singer Announces News for Next X-Men Film 2 hours 11 min ago
- Acceptance Matters WATCH: We Wish Every Coming Out Got a Hug-a-Thon 2 hours 20 min ago
- Marriage Equality Antigay Think Tank Could Use a Copy Editor 2 hours 24 min ago