Pro Wrestlers Lay the Smack Down on Bullying
BY Michelle Garcia
December 13 2011 7:17 PM ET
A new public service announcement featuring WWE stars will air, reminding their young male–dominated audience to think before they say or do something malicious or homophobic toward others.
Eve Torres, Kelly Kelly, Alicia Fox, Sheamus and Kofi Kingston take part in the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation-produced PSA, “Amplify Your Voice,” debuting Tuesday night during the WWE Tribute to the Troops special on USA Network.
The PSA puts viewers in the shoes of an LGBT person who was bullied and urges them to take a stand against harassment. The spot then directs viewers to GLAAD.org, where people can access resource kits detailing best practices for parents, teachers. and students. The American Federation of Teachers, the Gay, Lesbian, and Straight Education Network, the National Center for Transgender Equality, and the Trevor Project are among some of the organizations that helped GLAAD gather materials for the kits.
The WWE and GLAAD started teaming up earlier this year to address homophobia in its programming. In April, GLAAD also became one of the first members of WWE and Creative Coalition’s antibullying Be a STAR alliance.
Watch the PSA below:
- Kris Humphries Blames Vague Tweet, Supports Bruce Jenner
- Check Out The Enormous Support for Bruce Jenner from Celebs on Twitter
- Bruce Jenner: 'I'm A Woman'
- Reba McEntire: First Time I Saw a Reba Drag Queen 'It Really Ticked Me Off'
- Ted Cruz/OUT NYC Fallout: Broadway Cares Cancels Benefit at Hotel
- WATCH: Kim Kardashian Says Family in Therapy, Totally Supportive