Lesbian Student Delivers 200,000 Signatures to Protest Rating
BY Nick Visser
March 07 2012 4:57 PM ET
Katy Butler, a Michigan high school student who identifies as lesbian and who launched a Change.org petition to overturn the antibullying documentary Bully’s R rating, personally delivered 200,000 signatures to the Motion Picture Association of America.
Bully, which chronicles the lives of bullied students in the U.S, received an R rating last month ahead of its March 30 release due to six expletives. Butler has petitioned to lower the rating to PG-13 in order to reach a broader student population. Butler says she was inspired to start the campaign after experiencing a bullying incident in her own life, when bullies slammed a locker on her hand and broke one of her fingers.
"Today, with the help of more than 200,000 people who have signed my Change.org petition, we sent a loud and clear message to the MPAA that the movie Bully shouldn't be given an R rating," Butler says in an exclusive statement to The Advocate. "Every day in every middle school and high school in America, students are bullied. This movie, if given a PG-13 rating, could reach those students as well as bullies themselves and help put a stop to the epidemic of school bullying in our country. The MPAA should pay attention. They ruled by one vote that Bully should be rated R. We're telling them, with more than 200,000 voices, that an R rating will prevent this movie from being seen by those students who need to see it the most."
Watch Butler's recent appearance on Fox & Friends below.
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- The Many Faces of LGBT Family
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Op-ed: Immigration Goes Beyond Documentation
- The Financial Effects of DOMA: Newlywed Financial Decisions
- Women WATCH: Behold! Tina Fey & Amy Poehler Are Back in First Golden Globes Promo 4 min 54 sec ago
- Latest News India Reinstates Gay Sex Ban 58 min 41 sec ago
- Entertainment News Carmen Carrera & Her Victoria's Secret Dream 1 hour 2 min ago
- Media Edie Windsor is No. 3 on Time's Person of Year Shortlist 2 hours 22 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Immigration Goes Beyond Documentation 7:00 AM
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: The Many Faces of LGBT Family 6:00 AM
- Comedy Meet the Lesbian Who Won a Comedy Cage Match 6:00 AM