Meet the 2013 Point Foundation Scholars
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 19 2013 5:00 AM ET
Patrick Cordova is a dedicated public servant and civil rights advocate. His commitment to serving the public service began in 2000 as an eager phone bank volunteer for the Gore-Lieberman campaign. Since then he’s been involved with efforts to engage young people in the political process, to improve access to mental health care on college campuses, and to elect LGBT people to public office.
Patrick grew up in Orlando, Fla., and graduated from Winter Park High School’s International Baccalaureate program. In the summer between his junior and senior years of college, Patrick received the Stanford Pride fellowship at the Bronx Community Pride Center. Charged with developing social service programs and providing care to clients, he frequently confronted public policies that adversely affected LGBT Bronx residents in seeking health care, housing, and education.
After graduating from Stanford University in 2009, Patrick sought to repeal those discriminatory policies by electing LGBT advocates to positions of public influence. As finance director for Steve Pougnet for Congress and Gary Schiff for Mayor of Minneapolis, and as the Midwestern fund-raiser for the Gay and Lesbian Victory Fund, he helped to generate the necessary resources for candidates to win.
Patrick is delighted to benefit from Point’s mentoring program and leadership development opportunities that complement legal coursework, as well from the support and motivation that the community of scholars generates. He is a Root-Tilden-Kern Filomen M. D’Agostino Public Service Scholar for Civil Rights, Civil Liberties, and/or Criminal Justice at New York University School of Law. He aims to become a federal prosecutor after law school.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Bringing Diversity to the Digital Realm
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? 40 min 28 sec ago
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season 41 min 21 sec ago
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity 57 min 9 sec ago
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional 4:50 PM
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs 4:36 PM
- Sports You Can Play and NFL Team Up With LGBT Youth 3:37 PM
- Entertainment News Gay Men's Chorus of Los Angeles Performs Parody of Joe Boxer Christmas Ad 3:36 PM