Out and Proud: LGBT Youth Share Their Stories
BY Nicholas Cimarusti
October 17 2013 5:00 AM ET
Coming out is a unique process for every individual. It can be scary, overwhelming, and confusing, but it can also be happy, liberating, and empowering.
In honor of Spirit Day, the annual commemoration in which people “go purple” to show their support for LGBT youth and take a stand against bullying, we’ve assembled a collection of coming-out stories from several courageous young LGBT people who remind us that coming out is as much about sharing with others as it is about understanding yourself.
No matter how you do it — in a letter, an email, face-to-face conversation, or any other medium — coming out is a huge step in the life of every LGBT person. Celebrate yourself and share it with the people you love, whether it is on Spirit Day or any other day of the year.
Made by Dan Brian, whose YouTube channel is mallow610, this video shows a young gay man coming out to his mom. Her reaction is what any LGBT kid would want: She expresses her unconditional support and love for a son who was finally honest with her.
- Theater PHOTOS: Terrence McNally's Mothers and Sons 31 min 44 sec ago
- Religion Op-ed: Pope Francis: One Year In, Door Slightly Ajar for LGBT People 46 min 31 sec ago
- Travel Drag Race: NASCAR's Biggest Gay Fan on the Vegas Cup Race 48 min 41 sec ago
- Television Looking Back: Where Things Stand Heading Into Season 2 55 min 45 sec ago
- Art WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old 1 hour 9 min ago
- Television WATCH: The First Trailer for HBO's Adaptation of The Normal Heart 10:28 AM
- Comedy WATCH: 'Not Looking' Episode 1 10:23 AM