The Best Overlooked Books
BY Advocate Contributors
November 17 2011 4:00 AM ET
Don’t Breathe a Word by Jennifer McMahon (William Morrow)
The lesbian author of Island of Lost Girls once again weaves a story around a lost girl, this one who may have crossed into the land of fairies — or not. McMahon mines the dark land of family secrets.
Remembrance of Things I Forgot: A Novel by Bob Smith (University of Wisconsin Press)
What would you do if the boyfriend you were about to break up with just invented a time machine? Smith’s protagonist travels back in time, looking for do-overs of personal failures (and George W. Bush’s), but discovers that making positive changes has unforeseen negative consequences.
Darkness Embraced by Winter Pennington (Bold Strokes)
Lesbians, vampires, Byzantine political machinations — all you need to know to love this one.
Core by J.D. Glass (Outlines Press)
This punk novella is part graphic novel, part rock poetry from the Charm Alarm band member and author of Punk and Zen.
The German by Lee Thomas (Lethe Press)
In this powerful thriller, set in rural America circa 1944, a mysterious killer preys on young men — leaving pro-Nazi notes in the victims’ mouths — and the chief suspect is Ernst Lang, a gay ex-soldier who fled Germany years earlier.
Dying to Live by Kim Baldwin and Xenia Alexiou (Bold Strokes Books)
Romantic suspense ensues when an elite lesbian military operative must rescue a British socialite from Colombian rebels — and stop a virus from infecting them all in the process.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- Bringing Diversity to the Digital Realm
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season December 04 2013 7:41 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity December 04 2013 7:25 PM
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional December 04 2013 4:50 PM
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs December 04 2013 4:36 PM
- Sports You Can Play and NFL Team Up With LGBT Youth December 04 2013 3:37 PM